Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Eating Real Food and Why I Believe In It


(source)
I feel as though people hear the term "healthy" and are automatically turned off by it, which is sad, because it's not like that. 
So let's just call it R E A L  F O O D.
Let me explain...

A few hundred years ago, our ancestors were eating every cut of meat, and every organ off of every animal (including bacon), butter, milk straight from the cows teat, homemade bread, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies.
There were no fad diets, gluten free diets, dairy free diets, food allergies or chemical pesticides. There was no high fructose corn syrup, genetically modified organisms,Yellow No. 5, Blue No. 1, Red No. 40, or aspartame.
There was little to no; cancer,"behavioral disorders", ADD, ADHD, or skin conditions.

Do you want to know what there was?
There was whole, real, fresh food.
It wasn't processed, dyed, chemically altered, synthetically put together, or drenched in lab-created chemicals.
People grew their own fruits, vegetables, herbs, and wheat.
They milked their own cows and goats, churned their own butter, cultured their own yogurt, and collected eggs from their own chickens.

They didn't need to inject their cows or chickens with synthetic growth hormones (those things didn't even exist), or create chemically altered seeds to grow more crops.

Are you beginning to see the problem yet?

People thrived hundreds of years ago because everything they were consuming was real.
I'm not saying that everyone needs to own a farm and grow/produce their own food. (But wouldn't that be a beautiful thing?)
I'm saying don't we deserve to thrive and eat the way our ancestors did?
There are so many people that don't understand the severity of the damage that has been done to our food system... and there are some who know but choose not to care.

But I know, and I'm choosing to care. Because I'd rather pay a little more and eat the way our bodies were built to eat, than to eat garbage and pay for it later in health bills and possibly an early death.

My diet isn't perfect, and yes I occasionally give in to the chemical abominations on the gas station shelves, but I do everything in my power to eat the way we're supposed to eat...
Because it feels good.

If you're interested in changing the way you eat to a more "real food" diet, than I'd strongly suggest it. I'd even go as far as to give you advice and point you in the direction of people who know more about it than I. The more people who change their eating habits, the more the food companies will realize that what they're feeding us is wrong, and it's not "food".
Give it a try.
Eat the way your body wants you to eat.
Eat the way your ancestors ate.
Your body will thank you, I promise.

2 comments: